Position: Engineering Manager
Reporting to: President
At Cane Creek we believe riding bikes makes life better, so we strive to make bikes better. All of the products we bring to market are designed with this in mind. Authenticity, Craftmanship and Alternative make up our DNA and if those ideals resonate with you, you may be our new Engineering Manager.
Our Engineering Manager will be responsible for planning, organizing, directing, and controlling the activities of the engineering functions of Cane Creek. They will be responsible for ensuring that Engineering executes the assigned engineering/design projects as required. They will be able to see the risks inherent in new proposals but then find the reward when the risks are eliminated and that new product is brought to market.
The Engineering Manager will ensure that all products meet or exceed all defined industry test requirements, company quality and manufacturability standards, required features and performance attributes, and cost parameters. They will direct and coordinate for planning, organization, control, integration and completion of projects within the engineering department. In addition to managing the team, this position will also perform design, development, testing, and validation work for specified projects as a design engineer. Lastly, they will circle back to our “why” and ask – does this make riding bikes better?
- Managing the engineering team; Overseeing function workload, project assignments, and deliverables.
- Ensuring a positive work environment that is conducive to teamwork, quality, productivity, and creativity.
- Leading and developing strategic planning for an effective engineering team.
- Ensuring that project timelines are clearly defined, communicated, and managed.
- Creating and managing annual department budgets within the financial requirements of the company.
- Providing technical direction and guidance, including hands-on project management for all
- engineering functions.
- Collaborating with other departments as a technical resource contributing to all product development
- Developing short-term and long-term goals for engineering to support the objectives of the company.
- Ensuring the optimal application of current technology, engineering resources, outsourced design
- services and project contractors to meet project requirements.
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of regulatory bodies and agencies, ensuring that the end product
- complies with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Overseeing and coordinating the testing of products, both our own and competitors’ products.
- Overseeing work related to refining and updating products throughout Cane Creek’s categories with creative and reliable designs.
- Creating original design work that involves manufacturability, capability, and material selection.
- Facilitating sourcing and/or fabrication of prototypes, first articles, as well as vendor relations and
- prototype testing.
- Participating in the vetting, selection, and review of vendors.
- Researching and developing ideas and processes for new products.
- Reviewing product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards and
- customer requirements, and related specifications.
- Coordinating activities concerned with technical developments, scheduling and resolving design and
- test problems.
- This is an in-house position based out of our Fletcher, NC facility.
Qualifications for Success:
- BSME or equivalent experience.
- 5 + years of experience in product design engineering within the cycling industry and experience
- working in an R&D environment.
- Professional level capabilities in 3D CAD software (Solidworks preferred) and PDM systems, along
- with proficiency with ERP systems and BOMs.
- Self-starter, able to succeed in a fluid and fast-paced work environment.
- Leadership skills, experienced in creating a productive, team environment.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills required along with excellent interpersonal,
- written, and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating effectively across departments.
- A love of cycling and industry knowledge is required.
- Valid Passport – domestic and international travel is likely.
Why Join Cane Creek:
- Health Benefits, STD, LTD, Dental and Vision.
- 401K retirement plan with matching.
- Dog friendly – fido and fluffy are welcome to come to work as long as they play well with others.
- On-site workout area, bike shop and showers.
- Lunch rides.
- Generous vacation, PTO, holiday time.
- Profit sharing – if we hit our targets, all employees share in a portion of the profits.
- Monthly Town Hall meetings, First Friday Hangouts, Cane Creek University.
- And plenty of employees to share your love of cycling with!
At Cane Creek, we make products for all riders in all disciplines and want to help break the stereotypical views of what a cyclist is. The more diverse the people around the table are, the better the outcomes for everyone. We encourage all those who want to help push the envelope to join us and make a difference.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Cane Creek Cycling Components