This job is no longer accepting applications.
Position: Design Engineer
Date: May 2021
Location: Golden, CO
Reports to: Engineering Manager
Research, benchmark, develop, and design industry-leading bicycle frame designs and components from concept through production. Work closely with product teams (roles including Product Platform Owner, Product Manager, CAD Surface Modeler, and Analysis Engineer) to iterate and progress designs efficiently and quickly. Understand manufacturing requirements and work within existing boundaries (and sometimes beyond) to successfully commercialize Yeti Cycles products. Contribute in refining and redefining product development processes. *DESIGN PORTFOLIO REQUIRED FOR CONSIDERATION*
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Design – Frame & Components
• Geometry, suspension kinematics, structure, aesthetics, function, ease of maintenance
• Frame impact protection, fasteners, derailleur hangers, ports, axles, Switch Infinity assembly, linkages, hardware, bearings
• Work closely with CAD Surface Modeler, Analysis Engineer, Product Owner roles
• Manage reference/clearance files internally and to export
Design for manufacturing
• Composites, forgings, injection molding, screw machine parts, stampings, etc.
• Materials, cost, lead-times, manufacturability, innovation & advanced processes
• Meld with the Yeti aesthetic and work to continue to modernize
• Utilize Class-A surfacing, surface continuity, and reflection techniques
• Parametric modeling best practices including CAD templates, design tables, configurations
• Understand suspension linkage kinematics and iterate/optimize linkage designs
• Update and modify final frame assemblies following the current CAD architecture
• Ensure frame designs meet all interface standards (BB, HT, Hub, Brake, Drivetrain, etc.)
• Ensure frame designs meet all clearance requirements (tire, drivetrain, brakes, suspension, etc.)
• Work with and continue to improve parametric workflow [SolidWorks and Creo]
• Work with production engineering to make necessary design changes
• Maintain OEM 2D/3D CAD reference library
Drawings and Documentation
• CAD Vault Data Management using SolidWorks EPDM
• Implement product engineering change orders, develop/refine PDM protocol
• Communicate with engineering and purchasing departments
• Create and manage
• 2D engineering drawings using standard GD&T practices
• 2D/3D files for color/graphics design development
• Internal and end-consumer documentation assets: Exploded views, BOMs, geometry charts, dropper post charts, FAQs, standards, specs,
• Work with Yeti’s purchasing department to supply necessary documentation
• Communicate with oversea suppliers on part/assembly development/production and manufacturability (often during evening hours due to the time differential with Asia)
• Travel internationally to suppliers/manufacturers (typically 1-3 visits/year)
• Minimum of 4 years experience in a design engineering role, preferably consumer products
• Extensive kinematics experience desired (bicycle, motorcycle, automotive, racing)
• Advanced-level SolidWorks experience required, along with flexibility functioning across industrial design (PTC Creo and ISDX advanced surfacing) and analysis applications
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or comparable
DESIGN PORTFOLIO (REQUIRED FOR CONSIDERATION):
Submission of examples of your design work is required. This can be a link to a web-based portfolio, PDF, and/or actual 2D/3D files. Please send resumes and any supporting documents/links to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: “Design Engineer Applicant”.
Ideally a study is presented of a form modeled in SolidWorks with both organic and hard engineering features, ideally of a consumer product or vehicle. Information on best CAD practices used, design for manufacture requirements, design constraints, budgetary challenges, intellectual property navigation, and technology advancements are appreciated.
Yeti Cycles is a ride-driven company. Everything we do revolves around making the best bikes in the world and to make the best bikes, we need the best people. We are committed to a talented, diverse workplace that values hard work and initiative. Our work environment is relaxed, but high functioning. Dogs wander the building and bikes clutter the hallways. We have good coffee brewing in the morning and hoppy beers flowing in the evening. We’re located near five major trailheads and shut it down from 11:30am-1pm every day to ride. We live to ride. We offer a competitive compensation package, medical/dental insurance, matching 401k, life insurance, and disability insurance. We work hard so we can play hard. To this end, we strive to make our employees as safe and healthy as possible. We are currently on a hybrid model and will react to any changes advised by our local health department.
$60,000-80,000, depending on experience.
Yeti Cycles is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
Your application has been successfully submitted.