CAD Surface Modeler
Position: CAD Surface Modeler
Date: May 2021
Location: Golden, CO
Reports to: Engineering Manager
We are looking for a smart, humble, creative, detail-oriented, hard-working individual to work closely with our engineering design team to develop the aesthetic surfacing of bicycle frames and components, from concept to production-ready surfaces. This person must meld with the legacy Yeti form ID and continue to help modernize. We are searching for a skilled CAD Surface Modeler, who could be an Industrial Designer with a solid understanding of engineering, or an engineer with a keen eye for industrial design…but must be a surfacing pro. *DESIGN PORTFOLIO REQUIRED FOR CONSIDERATION*
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Conceptual Design
- Develop iterative digital 3D concepts based on 2D and defined engineering hardpoints
- Develop iterative 2D/3D renders of concepts
- Ability to quickly create and iterate conceptual models, including 3D printed prototypes
- Develop tool-ready technical surfacing utilizing Class-A techniques based on 3D conceptual models within the allotted project timeline
- Ability to develop construction methods with flexibility to efficiently adapt the form to multiple frame size and model family configurations
- Design for manufacturing methods such as composite molding, injection molding and forging: drafting, undercutting, etc.
- Careful consideration of surface continuity and reflection profiles
- Work with design and analysis engineers to satisfy requirements while executing design intent
- Balance multiple projects to meet aesthetic and functional requirements on time
- Understand market expectations and direction, develop style guides for future products
Required: PTC Creo with ISDX advanced surfacing tools
Preferred: SolidWorks, PDM, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
Bonus: Fusion 360, Modo, Maya, Blender, Rhino, Cinema 4D, Keyshot, Sketchbook Pro, other modeling techniques [T-splines, sub-division, Catmull-Clark, meshes, etc.]
- 5-10 years experience in CAD surface modeling, preferably in high-end consumer products
- Expert PTC Creo surface modeler using ISDX and advanced surfacing tools to quickly develop clean geometry using class-A techniques
- History of creating innovative and industry-leading products, given constraints around manufacturing, clearances, structural integrity, stiffness, etc.
- Experience with component design for manufacturing, with consideration for multiple sizes/configurations, and model family considerations
- Experience producing technical 3D surface models for production (drafting, parting lines, etc.)
- Familiarity with the interoperability of SolidWorks and PTC Creo
- Ability to accept and thrive off constructive criticism
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or comparable) is preferred
- Bonuses: Ability to communicate with 2D sketches, ability to develop realistic 3D renders
DESIGN PORTFOLIO (REQUIRED FOR CONSIDERATION):
Submission of examples of your work in PTC Creo is required. This can be a link to a web-based portfolio, PDF, and/or actual 2D/3D files. Work in SolidWorks as well as other programs are welcome after the PTC Creo requirement is fulfilled. Please send resumes and any supporting documents/links to email@example.com with subject line: “CAD Surface Modeler Applicant”.
Ideally a study is presented of a form modeled in PTC Creo with the following:
- Organic features combined with hard edge engineering features. Ideally a consumer product or vehicle.
- Surface analysis of key areas describing the construction patch layout and surface continuity: Show boundary continuity, CV structure with u/v degree/span details, curvature analysis, zebra stripe analysis, etc.
Yeti Cycles is a ride-driven company. Everything we do revolves around making the best bikes in the world and to make the best bikes, we need the best people. We are committed to a talented, diverse workplace that values hard work and initiative. Our work environment is relaxed, but high functioning. Dogs wander the building and bikes clutter the hallways. We have good coffee brewing in the morning and hoppy beers flowing in the evening. We’re located near five major trailheads and shut it down from 11:30am-1pm every day to ride. We live to ride. We offer a competitive compensation package, medical/dental insurance, matching 401k, life insurance, and disability insurance. We work hard so we can play hard. To this end, we strive to make our employees as safe and healthy as possible. We are currently on a hybrid model and will react to any changes advised by our local health department.
Yeti Cycles is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
Your application has been successfully submitted.