Editor in Chief
Mountain Flyer: The Mountain Bike Journal, based in Jeffersonville, Vt., is seeking a motivated, passionate and detail-oriented writer, editor and mountain biker to champion the title as Editor in Chief. Likely candidates will be deadline-oriented, with exceptional writing skills and strong editing experience; will possess a deep knowledge of and passion for all forms of mountain biking; will seek to celebrate the diverse stories and people who make up the growing, evolving mountain bike community; and will be prepared to combine their riding interests, creativity and media savvy to innovate and lead North America’s premiere mountain bike journal.
The Editor in Chief will lead a small production team of editors and design staff on tasks that extend across Mountain Flyer’s print and digital portfolio, including:
- Writing news, editorials, gear reviews and other material for Mountain Flyer and MountainFlyerMagazine.com.
- Along with editorial team, editing, copyediting and proofing all material for print, digital and other projects.
- Collaborating with contributors to gather pitches, make assignments and edit stories.
- Editorial planning with editors and art department staff, including developing and executing a creative and diverse editorial calendar in print and online.
- Representing Mountain Flyer at trade shows, races, festivals, press events and other magazine-, bike- and industry-related gatherings.
- Actively managing Mountain Flyer’s digital presence—on social media, at MountainFlyerMagazine.com and through regular newsletters.
- Assisting with development and execution of other projects related to the Mountain Flyer brand, including the Mountain Flyer Podcast, Tour de Trail and FLOW STATE festival.
- As an employee of Height of Land Publications, the Editor in Chief may assist with various editorial responsibilities for the company’s other titles: Backcountry, Alpinist and Cross Country Skier.
- The ideal candidate should possess:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field or three-plus years of journalism and/or editorial experience working with print media.
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of mountain biking and experience working within the outdoor industry.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work daily within a creative team.
- Big-picture creativity, attention to detail, solid organizational skills and a commitment to quality.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects across platforms and meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel regularly throughout the year for stories, trade shows and media events.
- A deep interest in promoting mountain biking through various media outlets.
- A strong working knowledge of WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, including inCopy and inDesign, social media management tools and Google Suite.
This is a full-time, year-round, salaried position with opportunities to work remotely. Please note salary requirements in your application materials. While this position does not come with health care or retirement benefits at this time, travel and ride benefits and time to pursue both are unrivaled. How to Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume and samples of published writing by June 2 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.