Senior Design Engineer, Mountain Bikes
Are you ready to combine your passion for an active lifestyle with a meaningful and multifaceted career in the cycling industry? At Specialized, our teammates are encouraged to explore roles in a variety of functions throughout their careers. We value curiosity, a desire to try new things, and an eagerness to learn about all aspects of the business. No matter where you begin with the company, you get to decide where you want to go whether it’s marketing, finance, product development, sales, or an international assignment. Join us in making the world a better place through the power of bicycles and build your dream career at the same time!
We are looking for an expert design engineer to join our Mountain Bike team to help craft the worlds' best bicycles in ways the rider has never envisioned. In this role you'll lead bicycle frame and part designs from conception to production. You'll use your expertise in mechanical systems, two-wheel dynamics, and statics to make products better & safer while pushing the bounds of what performance means. You'll help make the world's best mountain bikes even better.
How you'll make a difference
- Be the technical design authority team members turn to
- Deliver concept to a production-ready designs
- Collaborate with R&D, design engineers, development engineers, industrial designers, project managers, and, of course, riders
- Clearly communicate ideas and concepts, explain tradeoffs, and drive design excellence
- Build test plans, diagnose test lab failures, and guide others on making improvements
- Set an example in the areas of professional conduct, work ethic, engineering process, continuous improvement, factory relations, etc.
- Lead engineering design & risk assessment reviews and offer critical feedback and advice to other project teams
- Mentor & teach engineering skills in your areas of expertise
Skills needed to succeed
- Creative problem solving, starting from first principles
- Background in Mechanical Engineering or other relevant field with at least 7 years of increasing product engineering experience
- Experience owning the design of complex mechanical systems
- Applied knowledge of various materials, composites, aluminum and steel
- Fluent in CAD with expertise in surfacing tools and features
- Experience in using GD&T in 2D
- Doing thorough, detailed reviews of other engineering designs
- Ability to train engineers in proper dimensioning methods
- Passionate about explaining technical approaches in a clear and understandable way
- Ability to ask the questions to innovate. “What do I need to know to make this better?”
- Excellent documentation skills
- JIRA & Confluence knowledge
- CREO CAD Experience
- Experience with PLM and engineering change management workflows
- Hands on skills including machine shop, composites, fabrication, and bike mechanic skills
- Location: Auburn, CA
- Health benefits, 401K, plus additional perks including an employee discount
- Dog friendly offices
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed required
We want to increase representation of all races, genders, and body types in the cycling industry and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce where all people thrive. We encourage everyone – especially those from marginalized groups – to apply to our job postings and help us earn the position as the rider’s brand of choice. We are always looking for creative, innovative, and passionate people who are eager to contribute to our mission of pedaling the planet forward. Regardless of your qualifications, if you are ready to make a difference, please apply and let us know how you can make an impact at Specialized!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We are Riders