Bike and Ski Shop Lead
What's cool about this job
REI is committed to becoming a fully inclusive, antiracist, multicultural organization. To fulfill our brand promise of enabling a life well-lived outside for everyone, we are seeking candidates who demonstrate shared values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism.
This is a hands-on position and allows you to work on bike, ski, and snow equipment every day. Your primary responsibility is handling operations of the store’s service department, ensuring safety standards are met and providing extraordinary customer service. The Bike& Snow Shop Service Lead [SSL] is a key member of the retail store Shop team. The SSL is responsible for driving shop business results by specializing in shop team training, coordinating shop production, and shop facilities management. The SSL partners closely with Bike & Ski Shop Service Manager[SSM],Store Manager, and regional Shop Coordinator to develop and deploy store level shop strategy and tactics.
In addition to being a service savant, typical work for this position includes:
- Execute shop services meeting or exceeding customer and REI expectations for quality and safety standards.
- Coordinate production and manage throughput of shop work to meet customer demandand REI expectations.
- Identify ways to improve shop workflow, increasing productivity while maintaining or improving quality, and inform Shop Service Manager and management team.
- Model quality shop service work and monitor quality of service work amongst shop staff, reporting any quality or service issues and recognizing excellent work.
- Assemble and repair action sports equipment to REI and/or manufacturer standards.
- Assist Shop Service Manager in training, certifying, and building a team of technicians to carry out all shop service and Cycle and Snowsports department functions.
- Demonstrate initiative and productivity and serves as a role model for Bike & Ski Shop Mechanics, service advisors, and store staff.
- Train and mentor new staff, provide direction to peers as necessary, coordinate service delivery, and task execution.
- Assist Shop Service Manager in evaluating staff needs including hiring, scheduling and performance.
- Research and report significant quality and safety issues to Shop Service Manager, Store Management, and the Compliance Manager at REI Headquarters as assigned.
- Advise of alternatives or solutions before proceeding with work.
Bring your passion and expertise
You live and breathe REI equipment. You’re a builder. You’re a trainer. You’re a safety maven. Our Shop Leads are responsible for operating the store’s service department, ensuring safety standards are met and providing extraordinary customer service. If you like repairing equipment, handling risk, and forming teams of technicians to carry out service department functions then this is the role for you! Read on for the qualifications we look for in our Shop Leads:
- Successful completion of required training/certifications in role.
- 1-2 years previous bike and/or Snowsports shop experience or equivalent/transferrable skills
- Commitment to outstanding customer experience.
- Actively participate and collaborate with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Use business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidate information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well to produce quality work.
- Effective communication skills; Clearly convey and accurately receive information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Successfully foster and work as part of a diverse and inclusive team. Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to periodically lift up to 40 pounds, with assistance
REI hires, trains, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We remain deeply committed to making the Co-op a place where everyone can feel safe and be themselves. Join us.
As required by the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, REI provides a range of compensation for roles that may be hired in Colorado. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include a wide array of factors, including: your specific skills and experience, geographic location or other relevant factors.
The starting rate of pay for this role is $22.69/hr.
To review benefits information, including medical, retirement, and time off visit http://foryourbenefit-rei.com.
As required by applicable Pay Transparency laws, REI provides a range of minimum compensation for roles that may be hired in locations under these requirements. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include a wide array of factors, including: your specific skills and experience, geographic location or other relevant factors. The salary range for this position may be lower or higher in different markets.
The pay for this role is: $22.69 - $33.35 per hour
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Your application has been successfully submitted.
A life outdoors is a life well-lived!