This job is no longer accepting applications.
In this role, you will design best in class bicycle components and accessories from concept through to detailed, production-ready designs. You will work on early concept development to help flush out new product directions.
Overall Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Develop new, best-in-class bicycle components and accessories from initial concept through to detailed, production-ready drawings. This will include but not be limited to links, hardware, and injection molded parts.
- Concept work on possible new production directions. This could include new battery and motor configurations on e-bikes, new battery latching concepts and possible improvements on pedal bikes.
- Design frame and component proof of concept prototypes for field and lab testing
- Perform mechanism and stress analysis using advanced CAD tools
- Perform assembly tolerance analysis
- Maintain product quality through the use of rigorous Engineering practices
- Interpret lifecycle test results and make adjustments to part design or manufacturing process
- Collaborate directly with overseas vendors on part and tool design
- Complete project work on schedule
- Complete project work accurately with a minimum of foreseeable design or engineering related issues
- Create engineering drawings, release drawings to vendors for review, revise drawings based on vendor feedback
- Evaluate sample parts for quality and performance and communicate any necessary changes to the vendor
- Show sensitivity to the role that Industrial Design plays in a successful product
- Travel up to four weeks per year (once COVID restrictions are lifted)
Competencies and Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering
- A minimum of 5 years working as a Mechanical Engineer
- An intimate knowledge of part design for a range of manufacturing processes specifically: injection molding, machining and forging
- Advanced 3D surfacing skills using Creo
- Consumer product design experience
- Experience building and testing prototypes
- Experience with FEA (Finite Element Analysis), ability to combine real-world knowledge with test lab results to help validate an FEA model
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Ability to create, appropriately dimension and tolerance engineering drawings
- Ability to perform assembly tolerance stack analysis
- Basic proficiency with hand and machine tools
- Ability to work with other members of the design team and use feedback in a constructive way
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend and explain documents in English. Effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, in English.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the overall duties and responsibilities of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the overall duties and responsibilities. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use of hands and fingers, handle, or feel, reach above head with hands and arms, lift, push, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl, pull, talk and hear. The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Vision may be corrected within normal range. The noise level in the work environment is quiet.
Education Requirements: Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Why work here: For over 25 years Santa Cruz Bicycles has tried to do things a bit differently. Our ultimate goal is to consistently build the best bicycles in the world, and have fun doing it, but there is a lot more to it than that.
We can offer you great benefits that include 100% paid health, dental and vision insurance, 401K matching, monthly employee events and major discounts on bikes and bike gear. Those parts come with the industry. We can offer you a relaxed working environment, local singletrack, and the opportunity to work with a group of bike enthusiasts in a great place to live. Those parts come with the territory.
But what we really want is what you have to offer us. We want to attract job seekers that are looking for a brand that they can be an integral part of, and not just "a company to work for". It's the individual personalities, and the raw enthusiasm for the brand that makes this place special, and that comes directly from the employees of Santa Cruz Bicycles.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Our mission at Santa Cruz Bicycles is to make the best bicycles, and to have fun doing it. For 25 years, we’ve been doing just that, and finding uniqu...