Staff Accountant + Data Administrator
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Title: Staff Accountant + Data Administrator — PeopleForBikes Coalition
Location: Boulder, CO (must be based around Boulder 1-2 days/week)
Industry: Bicycle Industry Nonprofit
Employment and Classification: “At will” employment status; full-time position
PeopleForBikes (PFB) works to unite millions of Americans, thousands of businesses and hundreds of communities to make every bike ride safer, more accessible and more fun. Our mission is to put more people on bikes more often and make biking better for everyone. Nationwide, PeopleForBikes represents 280 supplier members, more than 1,100 Ride Spot retailer members and nearly 1.4 million individuals. PeopleForBikes has a Coalition that is the U.S. bicycle industry’s trade association and a Foundation that supports and promotes bicycling’s benefits and backs crucial bike infrastructure projects and programs.
PeopleForBikes is hiring a staff accountant and data administrator.
The selected candidate will manage general accounting and financial processes of both the PeopleForBikes Coalition and PeopleForBikes Foundation as well as assist in data integration and cleaning for our CRM database. This employee will be responsible for all daily accounting tasks and carry out relevant administrative duties. Ultimately, they will ensure the company’s finances and data integration processes run smoothly. This position reports directly to the vice president of finance and the chief of staff.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree with at least two to four years of experience as a staff accountant or relevant role.
- Skilled in the use of standard office equipment and accounting, spreadsheet, database, CRM (Salesforce experience a plus) and Microsoft Suite software experience.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks accounting software.
- Exceptional attention to detail with proven math and organizational skills.
- Takes initiative and action and gets work done quickly.
- Strong customer service ethic and willingness to go above and beyond to help PFB’s stakeholders.
- Ability to treat confidential information with appropriate discretion.
- A commitment to safe, healthy, reliable and affordable access to bicycling for all.
- PeopleForBikes will consider alternative ways that an applicant may have gained the required qualifications, outside of traditional pathways.
Accounting (About 50-60% of time)
- Maintain and update accurate accounting records and files for both the PeopleForBikes Coalition and the PeopleForBikes Foundation, including performing general bookkeeping tasks.
- Oversee expense report management of our 30+ person staff.
- Post transactions and categorize records in the general ledgers.
- Maintain relationships with key vendors and engage them to research discrepancies as needed.
- Analyze transactions with internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare documents for the annual external audit.
- Research and apply new accounting policies and ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
- Work to improve financial processes.
- Human resource administration role shared with other staffers for seamless onboarding processes that align with accounting functions.
- Some filing as needed.
- Assist VP of finance with other key accounting functions as needed.
Data Administrator (About 40-50% of time)
- Perform data integration projects with Salesforce and other databases using Excel or other tools as needed.
- Create processes for assessing and cleaning current datasets.
- Train staff as needed.
- Assist staff in reporting needs.
- Some data entry as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Compensation and Benefits
This “at-will” position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience with a range of $50,000 - $65,000. PeopleForBikes offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package. This includes paid health insurance for employees, a generous paid-time-off (PTO) policy including 22 days plus federal holidays, paid parental leave, flexible work schedule including work from home options and optional participation in a deferred compensation retirement plan, with immediate vesting of the competitive employer match. In addition, we provide long-term disability insurance, a cell phone plan and a laptop computer along with other benefits.
At PeopleForBikes, our agreed-upon set of team norms are what drives us to do our best every day that we show up to work. We continually strive to build and strengthen our team, we work together effectively to serve our mission and we have fun. Beyond that, we’re casual, we work flexibly with some remote work allowed and we love dogs. You don’t have to be an amazing bike rider to work here — what matters to us is a desire to work alongside passionate people improving the world through bikes (and hopefully you love bikes too).
- Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter in a single PDF file, via email, with “Staff Accountant + Data Administrator” in the subject line to PeopleForBikes’ chief of staff at email@example.com.
- The cover letter should not exceed one page and briefly explain the candidate’s applicable experience including answering this question: “How will your privilege serve you in this work and how will you use it to create more equity?"
- Due to volume, we will not respond to telephone or in-person inquiries.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The position is available immediately and will remain open until the position is filled.
- Interested applicants are encouraged to visit PeopleForBikes.org for general information and organizational background.
Our work to create safer, more comfortable and accessible places to ride for everyone starts with us. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to hiring a diverse workforce and will consider alternative ways in which an applicant may have gained the required qualifications outside of traditional pathways.
We are working to ensure our staff reflects the backgrounds, experiences and perspectives of the communities we serve. Employing a diverse staff enables us to better serve diverse communities and build an empowering, collaborative and innovative work culture. We strive to create an inclusive work environment where employees from all backgrounds and communities feel welcomed, valued, respected and received.
Externally, our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Subcommittee is working to make the bike industry more inclusive and welcoming by cultivating authentic relationships with historically marginalized communities, developing and sharing DEI resources and working to combat racism, homophobia and misogyny within our own companies. Recognizing that change starts internally, we’re improving our talent management lifecycle. Below are some examples of our current initiatives. This list is not comprehensive nor complete, and our work to create a truly diverse and inclusive workplace is an ongoing process :
- Researching and implementing a fair and equitable hiring process that includes posting salary ranges as a best practice.
- Standardizing our onboarding process with a dedicated team, including a peer buddy, to ensure all new hires have the necessary tools, information and relationships to get started.
- Every staff member receives a professional review twice a year to celebrate strengths and find opportunities for growth. These reviews provide an opportunity for employees to discuss their future and identify any development tools needed for individual career success.
- When an employee leaves PeopleForBikes, we conduct an exit interview to see what we could have done better.
- Soliciting feedback at regular intervals throughout an employee’s lifecycle to identify ongoing opportunities for improvement, ultimately making us a better organization.
We believe that no matter who you are, where you're from or why you ride, everyone can find joy on a bicycle. When you work at PeopleForBikes, you help us do the same.
Your application has been successfully submitted.