The Communications Manager leads the production, trafficking, and communication of content within Santa Cruz Bicycles’ marketing channels.
The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of mountain biking and Santa Cruz's distinct position within the sport as well as the wider cycling culture. The role demands a serious level of self-awareness and self-control. We’re looking for an authentic communicator with an eye for the details, and with built-in BS and spam filters.
This person leads the professional copywriting, editing, and content creation for the brand’s digital channels, newsletters, scripts, and other communications vehicles, covering everything from technical product descriptions to entertaining news to brand storytelling. The role requires the candidate to both create and edit copy themselves, as well as manage and direct others in copywriting and editing. A general knack for translating that copy across other content buckets (video, social, web) and audiences (consumer, trade, internal) is also a requisite.
This role oversees all outbound communication to riders, retailers, partners and media. Collaboration with the Brand Director to determine the frequency, volume and projection of the channels is key to setting work plans and targets. In short, you are the filter and backstop for all external-facing content, ensuring consistent tone-of-voice, adherence to brand style guides, and impeccable grammar.
Finally, the role is responsible for ongoing content audits and edits to ensure information is up-to-date across all related communications vehicles.
This role works within a matrix, reporting directly to the North American Marketing Director and shepherding a global Santa Cruz Communications Team. Collaborating successfully with Brand, Product, Creative and Project Management–plus a suite of third party contributors–is the key to success. The Communications Manager needs diplomacy skills and experience in creating, approving, and publishing content through a variety of channels in a way that strikes confidence throughout our entire organization.
Overall Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Own the content and communication calendar. Know what is coming when and how it will be developed and then deployed
- Contribute, edit, and oversee publishing of copy on brand websites, email marketing, social media and other digital platforms
- Lead Communication Team meetings to get consensus and approval on strategy, approach and tactics
- Work with Digital Team to optimize content for search optimization, acceptance, and digital longevity; then measures results and shares best practices
- Set standards: Audits copy and content in owned media channels, standardizes style and formatting then leads the creation of a brand style guide. This guide will become the reference for all external brand and product communications.
- Liaise with the Global Brand Marketing, Creative, Commercialization, and Engineering teams to keep product launches and other promotions aligned, and to develop new ideas for compelling content
- Work closely with the European Marketing team, international distributors, and other business partners to create localized content as required
- Drive the continued development of editorial calendars and content management tools
- 6+ years of experience in a lead communications role, experience working with global teams preferred
- Superior creative writing ability with an expert level understanding of grammar, punctuation, voice and tone, and the ability to peer-edit on small teams
- Strong knowledge of mountain bikes, road bikes, various bike racing disciplines, and the bike industry
- A positive, can-do attitude, and an upbeat disposition, proactively connecting with and uniting dispersed work colleagues
- Experience with project management tools, as well as project planning and timeline management abilities expected
- Ability to maintain a work schedule that will flex beyond 9-5 to early mornings, nights, and weekends to accommodate global team members in other time zones if needed
- Ability to travel (around 20%) throughout the US and internationally
- Fluency in Spanish, French, or German is a plus
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend and explain documents in English. Effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, in English.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the overall duties and responsibilities of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the overall duties and responsibilities. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use of hands and fingers, handle, or feel, reach above head with hands and arms, lift, push, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl, pull, talk and hear. The employee must lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Vision may be corrected within normal range. The noise level in the work environment is quiet.
Why work here: For 25 years Santa Cruz Bicycles has tried to do things a bit differently. Our ultimate goal is to consistently build the best bicycles in the world and have fun doing it, but there’s a lot more to it than that.
We can offer you great benefits that include 100% paid health, dental and vision insurance, 401K matching, monthly employee events and major discounts on bikes and bike gear. Those parts come with the industry. We can offer you a relaxed working environment, local singletrack, and the opportunity to work with a group of bike enthusiasts in a great place to live. Those parts come with the territory.
But what we really want is what you have to offer us. We want to attract job seekers that are looking for a brand that they can be an integral part of, and not just "a company to work for". It's the individual personalities, and the raw enthusiasm for the brand that makes this place special, and that comes directly from the employees of Santa Cruz Bicycles.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Quality Bicycles Since 1994