Title: Administrative Assistant — PeopleForBikes Coalition
Location: Boulder, CO
Industry: Bicycle Industry Nonprofit
Employment and Classification: “At will” employment status; full-time position
PeopleForBikes works to unite millions of Americans, thousands of businesses and hundreds of communities to make every bike ride safer, more accessible and more fun. Our mission is to get more people on bikes more often and make biking better for everyone. Nationwide, PeopleForBikes represents 280 supplier members, more than 1,100 Ride Spot retailer members and nearly 1.4 million individuals. We support and promote bicycling’s benefits and back crucial bike infrastructure policies, projects and programs.
PeopleForBikes is hiring an entry-level administrative assistant who will report to the chief of staff (COS).
While PeopleForBikes transitioned to mostly remote work in the last year, this role will be required to be in our Boulder office about two days per week most weeks, and more for certain event weeks.
The ideal candidate is extremely organized with an eye for detail and helping set up the organization and individual employees for success. The ideal candidate also demonstrates a strong desire to support the success of others and take initiative to help people, teams and the office be more productive and efficient. This role will juggle running day-to-day operations and multiple organizational, office and team administrative tasks.
- Run point for general office email and phone communications.
- Assist in general website updates.
- Perform administrative functions for staff.
- Assist in coordinating projects from beginning to end to help others be productive and successful and institutionalize continuous improvement.
- Maintain multiple calendars and recurring meetings, prioritizing appropriately offering solutions to complex scheduling and meeting planning as needed.
- Coordinate arrangements for internal/external meetings and video calls, compiling and disseminating materials for meetings and calls as required.
- Provide administrative assistance including writing, editing and sending thank you notes and preparing office communications on behalf of executive team leaders.
- Provide organizational assistance for HR processes and staff surveys.
- Provide other executive team assistance as needed.
- Participate actively in the research, planning and execution of PeopleForBikes internal meetings and external events, including scheduling, preparing rooms, packets and dossiers and being the point person for catering.
- Arrange hotels, flights and other logistics for staff, board members and event participants.
- Assist in keeping a clean and smooth-running office including the fulfillment of packages, running errands, ensuring internet access is functioning and staff has functioning laptops and phones.
- Provide general support to guests and visitors.
- Minimal travel may be necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree, associates degree with one year of experience, or two years of experience in administrative assistance or customer service.
- Exceptional attention to detail with proven project management and organizational skills.
- Takes initiative and action and gets work done quickly.
- Strong customer service ethic and willingness to go above and beyond to help PFB external stakeholders.
- Ability to problem solve and handle basic inquiries but also escalate important information to executive team members as needed.
- Ability to treat confidential information with appropriate discretion.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal.
- A commitment to providing safe, healthy, reliable and affordable access to bicycling for all.
- PeopleForBikes will consider alternative ways that an applicant may have gained the required qualifications, outside of traditional pathways.
- Familiarity with project management tools, methodologies and best practices.
- Experience creating better systems and templates for future work.
- Skilled in the use of standard office equipment and basic accounting, spreadsheet, database, CRM and Microsoft Suite software experience.
- Skilled in the use of content management systems.
Compensation and Benefits
This “at-will” position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience with a range of $45,500 - $48,000. PeopleForBikes offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package. This includes paid health insurance for employees, a generous paid-time-off (PTO) policy including 22 days plus federal holidays, paid parental leave, a flexible work schedule including work from home options and optional participation in a deferred compensation retirement plan, with immediate vesting of the competitive employer match. In addition, we provide long-term disability insurance, a regional public transportation pass, a cell phone plan and a computer along with other benefits.
At PeopleForBikes, our agreed-upon set of team norms is what drives us to do our best every day we show up to work. We continually strive to build and strengthen our team, we work together effectively to serve our mission and we have fun. Beyond that, we’re casual, we work flexibly with some remote work allowed and we love dogs. You don’t have to be an amazing bike rider to work here — what matters to us is a desire to work alongside passionate people improving the world through bikes (and hopefully you love bikes too).
- Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter in a single PDF file, via email, with “Administrative Assistant” in the subject line to PeopleForBikes’ chief of staff, at email@example.com.
- The cover letter should not exceed one page and briefly explain the candidate’s applicable experience including your experience working with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Due to volume, we will not respond to telephone or in-person inquiries.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The position is available immediately and will remain open until the position is filled.
- Interested applicants are encouraged to visit PeopleForBikes.org for general information and organizational background.
Our work to create safer, more comfortable and accessible places to ride for everyone starts with us. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to hiring a diverse workforce and will consider alternative ways in which an applicant may have gained the required qualifications outside of traditional pathways.
We are working to ensure our staff reflects the backgrounds, experiences and perspectives of the communities we serve. Employing a diverse staff enables us to better serve diverse communities and build an empowering, collaborative and innovative work culture. We strive to create an inclusive work environment where employees from all backgrounds and communities feel welcomed, valued, respected and received.
Externally, our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Subcommittee is working to make the bike industry more inclusive and welcoming by cultivating authentic relationships with historically marginalized communities, developing and sharing DEI resources and working to combat racism, homophobia and misogyny within our own companies. Recognizing that change starts internally, we’re improving our talent management lifecycle. Below are some examples of our current initiatives. This list is not comprehensive nor complete, and our work to create a truly diverse and inclusive workplace is an ongoing process :
- Researching and implementing a fair and equitable hiring process that includes posting salary ranges as a best practice.
- Standardizing our onboarding process with a dedicated team, including a peer buddy, to ensure all new hires have the necessary tools, information and relationships to get started.
- Every staff member receives a professional review twice a year to celebrate strengths and find opportunities for growth. These reviews provide an opportunity for employees to discuss their future and identify any development tools needed for individual career success.
- When an employee leaves PeopleForBikes, we conduct an exit interview to see what we could have done better.
- Soliciting feedback at regular intervals throughout an employee’s lifecycle to identify ongoing opportunities for improvement, ultimately making us a better organization.
We believe that no matter who you are, where you're from or why you ride, everyone can find joy on a bicycle. When you work at PeopleForBikes, you help us do the same.
Your application has been successfully submitted.