Service and Workshop Manger
Community Cycles of California (CCofCA) is a nonprofit, full-service, refurbished bicycle shop raising the quality of life in our corner of the community. We offer refurbished bicycle sales and full-service repair as well as no cost options for those who need it through our Community Bike and Free Repair programs. We are currently building out a program to train and hire community members with barriers to work.
We are a small and growing organization seeking a skilled mechanic with supervisor experience who is willing to roll up their sleeves wrenching on bikes while helping us develop as an organization with outstanding product and customer service. As Manager, you will be responsible for the operations of the workshop. Working with executive staff, you will ensure bicycles are refurbished for the sales floor and the service department schedule is adhered to while supporting program and sales goals.
Although your primary responsibility will be to support the Service and Sales departments, you will also support our Community Bike and Free Repair programs. Interacting with customers, clients, staff, job training participants and volunteers is a big part of this job - leadership, customer service and interpersonal skills are critical.
- Lead and support the team in production of refurbished bicycles, service desk operation, and repair jobs
- Ensure bicycles for retail sales and community bike programs are refurbished to CCofCA standards and perform the final Quality Control step of refurbishing and service processes
- Lead all aspects of service for inbound Service Department bikes
- Collaborate with leadership team to develop and implement shop floor strategy to meet target revenue as well as production and impact goals
- Manage process flow of the shop, seeking ways to improve efficiency while maintaining/improving quality
- Maintain budget and accurate financial reports
- Hire, train, lead and evaluate shop personnel. Personnel may include volunteers and training program participants
- Manage inventory process, including receiving, ordering, and organizing of both ordered and donated items
- Maintain a clean workbench and work with colleagues in maintaining clean shop in general, including restroom and lounge areas
- Represent CCofCA as a leader in the community we work in, be a positive ambassador when talking to partners, donors, and volunteers and be the best representation of our mission
- Continuously improve our interactions, products and services for our clients and contribute positively to their experiences
- Deliver poise and consistent performance, even in high stress situations
- Learn, understand and adhere to all organizational policies, programs and standards
- Work with executive and nonprofit staff to craft and support programs, including training of vocational training participants
- Support marketing and corporate events
- Participate in inter-departmental training and cooperation, including support of sales when needed, and offer input and feedback in meetings
Skills and Attributes:
- A strong desire to give back to your community and a love for bicycles
- 3+ years mechanic experience on wide variety of bicycles from vintage to new at a retail bike shop; OR attended a 1-month UBI class and 1+ year experience
- 1 year leadership or supervisor experience
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Self-motivation, confidence, empathy, and passion for the work!
- Collaborative and effective communicator with colleagues, clients, trainees and volunteers
- Positive self-image; serves as a role model for others
- Strong time management skills
- Moving, lifting and carrying bikes will be necessary, so must be able to lift 30lbs.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary Range: $54,000 - $60,000 + possibility for commission based on experience
- 25% employee discount on all products
- Training and professional development
- Stipend for benefits
- Vacation and sick time off
- Hours: This is a full-time position. Working hours will include early evenings and weekends. The hours will be within Tuesday through Sunday, 9am to 7pm.
Raising the quality of life in our corner of the community